Well, it’s been a busy couple of Days for Age of Conan. Less than 24 hours after announcing that a new Adventure Pack, The Savage Coast of Turan, would launch in August, they broke the news that AoC would be moving to a hybrid free-to-play model. The details are still developing, but here’s what we know so far.
The way this is currently advertised, you can play for free, for as long as you want, with no need to give Funcom a credit card number and no level cap limit. You’ll be able to buy Funcom Points which can be spent in the in-game store on stuff. Interestingly, these points do cross over to, and can be used in, Bloodline Champions and Anarchy Online. Maybe Secret World as well, but it’s to early to go there.
You can also choose to be a “premium subscriber.” We assume that this means that you pay the same $15 subscription fee that’s currently charged. The benefits thereof remain exactly as they are now – despite the FAQ saying that premium subscribers will get “even more bonuses,” the only thing we know of so far is a measley %5 discount on stuff from the store. Yay.
So here’s what free players get access to:
- Two character slots. You can buy more in the store. The move raises the overall limit on character slots to 18 for free and premium.
- Four classes, Barbarian, Demonologist, Guardian and Priest of Mitra. I think this is kind of dumb. I’d rather see all the current classes in play as “basic” classes available to everybody, with new classes launched with future expansions labeled premium classes that you have to pay for.
- Half the regular amount of bank space.
- As far as content goes, all outdoor playfields in Aquilonia, Cimmeria and Stygia, as well as Gateway to Khitai.
- Some dungeons. For this list, see the Free and Premium Content Overview. Others will be bought from the store or come along with the Rise of the Godslayer expansion. Some of these will be one-time, permenant purchases, while others will be a time-limited ‘lease’.
- Khitai content, except for the Gateway to Khitai 20-40 zone, will be limited to those who have already bought the expansion or who buy it in the store.
- The Kylikki’s Crypt and Yakhmar’s Cave Tier 1 raids. Other raids are all store items, or bundled wth the Khitai pack.
Free players will not get access to:
- Mounts other than basic horses.
- The remaining character classes.